How much do you know about oral health? Dr. Stephen Hoard is an experienced dentist in New Bern, NC who is dedicated to patient education, preventive dental care, and healthy smiles. To educate patients on healthier oral habits, we encourage you to test your knowledge on our New Bern dental office’s True or False quiz!
Dental Knowledge: True or False
Bleeding gums are a common sign or gum disease. True or False?
- (True) Bleeding gums are one of the signs of gum disease. Gum disease is a progressive oral health concern that affects the health and function of the gums. When gum disease is caught early, patients can receive a more conservative, comprehensive treatment option. New Bern dentist Dr. Hoard offers a full range of periodontal therapy solution for patients with mild to advanced stages of gum disease.
You should brush your teeth immediately after eating. True or False?
- (False) You should avoid brushing the teeth for at least 30 minutes to an hour after you eat. Certain foods create acids in the mouth that attack the enamel. Your teeth are the most sensitive after eating so brushing can weaken the enamel.
If you brush your teeth, you don’t need to floss. True or False?
- (False) Brushing is an effective way to clean the teeth and freshen the breath. However, brushing (alone) cannot effectively remove debris and bacteria between the teeth. Flossing is a crucial part of maintaining a healthy oral hygiene routine. Flossing can even help minimize your risk of developing gum disease. Flossing should be performed at least once a day.
You only need to visit the dentist if there is a problem with your oral health. True or False?
- (False) Most dentists recommend patients should visit the dentist biannually (twice a year) for preventive care exams. Preventive care visits allow Dr. Hoard to carefully examine the teeth, gums, muscles, and jaw joints to ensure they are are functioning appropriately. Dr. Hoard will also screen for complex dental problems like oral cancer, gum disease, and tooth decay. Preventive dental care is a vital part of maintaining a healthy smile.
Missing teeth do not need to be replaced right away. True or False?
- (False) Missing teeth should be addressed as soon as possible. If left untreated, missing teeth can lead to facial sagging, bone deterioration, and infection. Dr. Hoard offers a full range of tooth replacement options in the comfort of our New Bern, NC dental facility. We offer dentures, dental bridges, and dental implants to restore missing teeth in our New Bern dental office.
Visit Our New Bern, NC Dental Office
If you are searching for a highly skilled dentist in New Bern, NC, visit Dr. Stephen Hoard. To learn more about our services, call 252.507.0373 or request an appointment online.
Posted in: oral cancer symptoms