A smile makeover involves careful planning and a variety of procedures to transform a patient’s smile. Often done for purely cosmetic concerns, a smile makeover can improve not only the appearance of your smile, but its comfort, health and function as well.
Smile Makeover Process
New Bern, NC cosmetic dentist Dr. Hoard begins a smile makeover with a consultation, where he and the patient discuss the desired outcome. Next, a comprehensive evaluation is performed to examine the teeth, gums, jaw joints and muscles. Dr. Hoard looks carefully for any underlying causes for cosmetic concerns such as instability in the temporomandibular joints (TMJ) or decay. These problems could cause dental procedures to fail and the same problems to recur. Treating the root cause for the dental problem is critical to ensuring long term success.
Using 2-D and 3-D images and models, Dr. Hoard will create a customized treatment plan and give you a visual of the proposed results. When Dr. Hoard performs a smile makeover, he takes the patient’s entire facial appearance into consideration including skin tone, hair color, lips, tooth display and gums, to create a smile that looks and feels natural.
Dr. Hoard takes a multidisciplinary approach to complex smile makeovers. He has developed a relationship with periodontist, Jeffery Thomas, DDS and orthodontist, Todd Rankin, DDS. This team approach allows Dr. Hoard to maximize results for his patients and ensure they receive the same high level of care that he provides in his office.
Smile Makeover Procedures
What Can a Smile Makeover Do?
A smile makeover can improve on a number of cosmetic and functional dental concerns such as:
- Discolored or Stained Teeth – Tooth enamel is susceptible to staining from dark foods and beverages. Tobacco use, medications, trauma and age can also cause teeth to darken and discolor. Selecting a natural looking color shade for teeth is important, and must take into consideration the skin tone and facial appearance. Simple teeth whitening can be used to enhance teeth that are minimally affected by discoloration. More serious cases may require porcelain veneers, dental crowns or composite bonding.
- Broken or Chipped Teeth – Often times teeth become broken or chipped as a result of trauma or accident. Teeth that are broken down by wear may indicate a larger issue with the instability of the occlusion (bite). Any functional concerns such as instability must be addressed to ensure the long term success of dental work. Teeth that have small chips or cracks can usually be corrected with composite bonding, inlays or onlays. Larger chips and broken teeth may require porcelain veneers or dental crowns. In some cases, a tooth may be so badly damage that it needs to be removed and replaced with a dental implant.
- Gaps or Spaces Between Teeth – Gaps between the teeth can be embarrassing and also a health concern. Food and bacteria can become lodged in the spaces between teeth, contributing to gum disease and tooth decay. Gaps or spaces between the teeth can be easily corrected during a smile makeover. For small spaces, composite bonding may be used. To correct larger gaps, Dr. Hoard may recommend porcelain veneers or dental crowns.
- Missing Teeth – One of the most serious concerns is missing teeth. When left untreated, missing teeth can contribute to serious problems in the health of surrounding bone, gum and teeth. There are a number of excellent options for replacing missing teeth including dental implants, dental bridges and dentures.
- Fuller Lips, Improved Smile – Most people don’t realize how important the teeth are in the appearance of the face. Teeth serve many purposes, but among them, they help support the lips and cheeks, making the face appear fuller. Porcelain veneers, dental crowns and dental implants can all be used to enhance the teeth and improve the appearance of the face.
- Gummy Smile – If your teeth are short and you have a lot of exposed gum tissue, you may have what is considered a gummy smile. This problem can be easily addressed in a smile makeover through crown lengthening, porcelain veneers and in some cases dental implants.
A smile makeover combines several cosmetic and restorative dental procedures to achieve beautiful, natural looking results. Contact our office today to learn more about smile makeover and to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hoard.